Thursday, October 23, 2008

A "Ruff" Reality Check

Quite an elaborate event it was, this party for Winston, my sister's baby. Let me give you the highlights.

The house was decorated with balloons, banners, and streamers. My sister had made individual cakes for every guest, sparing no expense and leaving out no detail. The guests arrived with their gifts in tow, the girls dressed in pretty pink dresses and the boys donning special birthday hats, and they all played together and posed for pictures. By all accounts, this birthday extravaganza was a great success.

Due to a prior engagement, my MacDonald clan was unable to attend Winston's first birthday celebration, but fortunately for everyone, pictures of the entire grand affair were posted on Facebook within hours.

At this point I'll mention, Winston is a dog.

The extent of this insanity almost has me at a loss for words. Almost.

I''m not a dog-hater. When I was about a year old, my parents got me a dog, a Retriever-Collie mix, who was the most gentle and mild-mannered pet in the world. Poor old Sherry lived until I was 12, and when she got sick and we had to put her down, I remember being upset that whole day. I don't recall needing Ativan or therapy, though.

Now our family has a medium-sized white dog named Bear MacDonald (not just Bear, but Bear MacDonald, as my youngest is quick to point out in any discussion). We're not sure exactly what kind of dog he is, but for reasons it would take too long to explain, we call him a Glace Bay Shih-Tzu. He's generally well behaved, and definitely a great dog to have with kids. I like our dog for the most part, although I could do without the shedding and necessity of hiring a dog-sitter every time we go away for the night. I mean really, a dog-sitter? One of the annoyances of pet ownership, I guess.

Would I be sad if something bad happened to Bear MacDonald? Yes, I would. I'd probably miss the sight of him playing with the kids and how happy he looks when we pull up in the car.

But would I need to be hospitalized to deal with my grief? Probably not.

What is it with people and their dogs? I'm not trying to generate nasty e-mails for myself, because I know a lot of people have great affection for their pets, but somewhere along the line people have forgotten that there is a difference between dogs and humans.

My sister is a maniacal example. She takes Winston for manicures and pedicures and fluffing and quaffing appointments on a very regular basis, and considers this pampering to be just a regular budgetary expense. Are you kidding me? I haven't had a manicure in years! When I have the extra money and time set aside, you can be sure I won't pile Bear MacDonald into the car to make sure he gets the royal treatment first. Dogs lived for thousands of years without esthetic services; I doubt this generation of pooches would be any worse off without them.

Now let's move on to clothes. "Dog" does not belong in the same sentence as the word "sweater", people. It just doesn't, period. It's always the people who claim to love their dog the most, who insist on dressing it up as a witch for Halloween, or something just as cruel and ridiculous, all for the sake of laughing at it and taking a picture. Animals aren't meant to wear clothes, and certainly not any that cost more than the ones I'm wearing right now. Sheesh.

Lastly, I'll tell you about the experience that led up to me writing this article. The whole buy-a-small-dog-and-carry-it-around-like-a-purse thing, and every Paris Hilton-esque habit that goes along with that, has been annoying me for quite some time, but recently one of these delusional dog-people said something that really insulted me. This person actually sat in my living room, tickling her pooch's belly and coochie-coochi-coo-ing with such obliviousness and ignorance that only a young 20-something could muster, and told me that my kids were no more special than her dog. And she meant it sincerely. Imagine.

To those people, I can only say: wake up. Your dog is cute. Your DOG. That you bought. That can't speak to you. That licks his privates when he's bored. That sniffs other dog's bums.

Sorry to all the dog lovers, but I'm hoping most of you realize that children are in a different league. If you disagree, please never have children. Just get another dog - a small one named Daughter of Nutcase with red-painted claws and wearing a Burberry jacket.

5 comments:

  1. I would like to say that I am a dog fanatic. When people ask me what makes me happy? I reply.. puppies!! I'm still on the fence about ever having kids. But I know for sure I will have dogs. I know what kind I want.. possible names.. etc. However...

    I am mortified at the insanity of some dog owners. I had a friend that got her dog's photos professionally done. This dog birthday thing.. is wrong on so many levels. (btw there is an episode on Girls Next Door with a doggie B-Day bash.. plays out pretty much the same way). Doggie massages.. are you serious? And my personal favourite.. merely weeks ago.. there was a woman walking around with a baby carrier (not sure the actual name.. but where you have the baby in front on you like a backpack) but in this baby carrier.. was.. you guessed it. A dog! That person for sure needs therapy!

    And P.S. If a dog fits into a purse.. and yapps all day long.. its not a real dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous having a birth day for a dog is not wrong. What makes you think that you decide what is wrong or right for other people. I don't think that this birthday effected you in any way. If it doesn't effect you then mind your own buisness......

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dog's "B-day Bash" is not wrong.Why do you think you can decide what is wrong or right for other people. I don't think it effected you in any way???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had many cats and dogs in my 33 years and never once have I thrown a birthday party complete with invitations, balloons and presents for my pets! I would never expect someone to buy my animal a gift when a lot of people can barely afford to buy their own children gifts! Nor have I dressed them up in cute little outfits...oh wait, I stand corrected on that - when I was about 5 or 6, I used to dress my kitten in doll clothes. But I was a small child who liked playing dress up!!
    We currently own a silver tabby and a German Shepherd. They have their Halloween costumes picked out. The cat will be going as a snotty antisocial cat and the dog will be going as a German Shepherd...scary enough on its own - he didn't feel the need to dress up as a goblin or devil...
    At Christmas, Santa has been known to leave small gifts for the animals...more to please our son than to actually spoil the dog or cat...they get toys to play with anyway...it keeps them from destroying our belongings.
    As for daily living with our animals, sure we love them, talk to them, feed them, walk the dog....but they are still animals...they will never find a cure for cancer, stop war or discover new planets. I'll shed tears when they pass on but at the end of the day, the cat curls up where he's most comfortable and the dog goes in his kennel...we go to bed happy with the companionship they provide but know there are more pressing issues in the world than did the dog have a good birthday party or get enough Halloween treats!
    J.H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i completely agree with you about the difference between a DOG/animal and children...if that person would have been sitting on my couch telling me that well...she/he would have been out on their ass thats for sure...

    one of my friends had a different dog every month...i couldn't believe that she changed dogs like she changed her underwear...and then one day she told me she wanted to have kids...out of logical curiosity i asked her why she kept on getting rid of her dogs and she said she couldn't stand it anymore when they cried and destroyed everything and always wanted attention...WHAT???? and this person wants to have kids!!! sorry but i nearly crapped myself when she said that...you can't change your child or take it back and choose another one if the one you have pisses you off...people do realize that right??? cause I'm not so sure...

    Also, I'm not completely against the fact that an animal has a b-day party...animals do become part of the family BUT...there's a limit...do you honestly think that your animal knows it's his birthday? and that they know what a balloon is? face it it's all for you...the owner...if you want to have a party have one...don't do it on the pretext that it's your animals b-day...it just sounds weird!

    ReplyDelete