Thursday, November 11, 2010

'Tis the Season!

Not enough people send Christmas cards anymore, plain and simple.

Everyone loves getting mail (that isn't bills). Going to the mailbox and seeing a nice red envelope with a gold seal; opening the card to read the greeting and note; propping it up on the mantle for company to look at. It's such a simple but special lead-up to the holidays.

Because it's so easy to get caught up in life during the year, I make Christmas cards my annual "We're alive! We're thinking of you! We're reaching out via something other than Facebook!"

I have always been diligent about sending out my cards. I make sure to send them out by the last week of November or so, to allow time for people to receive them, and then procrastinate, then fill out their cards and leave them on the dining room table, then forget to pick up stamps, then finally buy stamps and mail the cards a week later.

I know, it's a process.

A few years ago, I would include one of those indulgent "this is what we've been up to for the past 12 months" family newsletters, but since the creation of the aforementioned Facebook, I assume people get as much regular information as they want. Now, I include just pictures.

Every year, I get the boys' Christmas pictures done at the local photo studio, and I put a small one in everyone's card. Family members and friends from away, many of whom don't have a computer, like to watch my kids grow from year to year, and, ashamedly, my annual card is often the best way to see that.

A few months ago I received a birth announcement card in the mail, and it was beyond beautiful. It said "Shutterfly" on the back, but it wasn't until I read this blog post (um, do you not read that blog already? Is there something wrong with you?) that I got to see the amazing - AMAZING - selection of cards that Shutterfly has available this holiday season.





I mean, look!








And look!





Right? It's so hard to choose the nicest one that you're almost mad at Shutterfly after you see them all.

So this year, instead of cutting out wallet size pictures and cringing at my worsening cursive, I'm going to design one of these amazing cards and really blow everyone away.

Oh, and if the stationary wasn't incentive enough (which it totally was), I can actually get 50 of these cards FOR FREE!

I KNOW!

Bloggers can get 50 free holiday cards from Shutterfly. Find out how here.

Now get off the computer and go to the post office for stamps. Slacker.



Most Wonderful Story Christmas 5x7 folded card
Shop Shutterfly for elegant custom Christmas photo cards.
View the entire collection of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment